1. Who founded the Society of Jesus?
The Society of Jesus was founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola (1491 - 1556) in 1534.
2. What work did St. Patrick do when he was enslaved as a teenager?
St. Patrick (389 - 461) was taken as a slave from his home of northern England or Scotland and taken to Ireland where he worked as shepherd until he escaped. Read more about St. Patrick's remarkable life from slave to missionary bishop.
3. How many Carmelite saints are Doctors of the Church?
There are three: St. Teresa of Avila (1515 - 1582), St. Thérèse of Lisieux (1873 - 1897), and St. John of the Cross (1542 - 1591).
4. What saint saved Paris, France from a siege?
St. Genevieve (c. 422 - c. 500) led a convoy of ships up the Siene River to Troyes when the city of Paris was being sieged by the Franks. They were able to obtain food and return to Paris. Read more about this miraculous trip and St. Genevieve.
5. When she was a young girl to what country did St. Frances Xavier Cabrini think she would be a missionary?
As a young girl, St. Frances Xavier Cabrini thought that she would be a missionary to China. Only after meeting Pope Leo XIII did she believe that it was God's will that she should instead head west to serve the Italian immigrants in the United States. Read more in St. Frances Xavier Cabrini: Your Heart's Desire and God's Will
6. In what modern day country would you be in if you were in the homeland of St. Anthony of Padua?
Although he is beloved and claimed by his adopted country of Italy, St. Anthony (1195 - 1231) was born in Lisbon, Portugal. Later, in attempt to return home after becoming ill as a missionary in northern Africa, a storm drove his ship to Siciliy. He would never return to Portugal. Read more about St. Anthony and how he stressed the importance of making good confessions.
7. Which of these saints is a patron saint of motorists?
The story was told of St. France of Rome that she was given an angel, presumably in addition to her guardian angel, whom she could often see. The angel would light the way ahead of her as she traveled the streets of Rome in her charitable work for the poor. This led to her being declare the patron of motorists. Read more about the life of St. Frances of Rome.
8. Which of these is the correct order for the titles given during the process of canonization (first to last)?
The process of canonization involves many steps and can take many years. The titles given in order are: Servant of God, Venerable, Blessed, and, of course, Saint. Sign up for a free email course on the saints in order to learn more about why we have saints in the Catholic Church and the process of canonization.
Build Your Catholic Faith with Free Weekly Saints Stories
Each week get to know more about your family in Heaven with stories delivered to you email inbox
© 2018 - 2022 Letters from the Saints